Thursday, February 7, 2013

Bored of the scriptures?

I'm on step 11 these days in the LDS 12-step book, and it has this quote that really got me thinking this morning:

"The idea that scripture reading can lead to inspiration and revelation opens the door to the truth that a scripture is not limited to what it meant when it was written but may also include what that scripture means to a reader today. Even more, scripture reading may also lead to current revelation on whatever else the Lord wishes to communicate to the reader at that time. We do not overstate the point when we say that the scriptures can be a Urim and Thummim to assist each of us to receive personal revelation" (Dallin H. Oaks).

This is so great. I have had the hardest time getting a lot out of my scripture study these days, and I think it's because I am waiting for really direct, obvious, slap-me-silly-in-the-face connections to my life in the scriptures instead of listening to the Spirit as I read. As soon as I read this quote, I remembered the times so often while on my mission that I was able to receive personal revelation from God on topics completely unrelated to the scriptures I was reading.

I'm really excited to try this out for the next few weeks and hopefully remember/figure out what it used to be like when I would do this. Maybe I just need a completely new set of scriptures cause I'm so used to seeing the same markings that I keep thinking of lessons I learned before or the meanings I got from it the last few times I read them, when I should be thinking about new lessons and ties in to my current situations.

I think this is the root of the problem anytime the scriptures 'get boring' to me. When I feel like I'm just reading the words on the page that I've read a few times before. Passively reading instead of actively reading (also scripture reading isn't ever as good as it could be when I'm either reading in a hurry or just to finish a particular section, but that's not entirely the topic here...). I'm excited to get a new fire as I try and read the scriptures with the windows of revelation open as Elder Oaks describes. Hopefully I'll have a few experiences to write down with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment