Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Being manly

So my wife and I watched The Notebook the other day. I'd never seen it, a fact that I was proud and felt made me more manly (it's supposedly a girl show). Surprisingly, it actually taught me more about being manly than anything I've seen in a long time.

The show starts off with this quote:

"I am no one special, just a common man with common thoughts. I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me, and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect, I've succeeded as gloriously as anyone who ever lived. I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and for me, that has always been enough."

I was moved by this quote, and by the rest of the movie for that matter. It was really inspiring and helped me put my life in perspective. By the end of the movie, I couldn't stop myself from crying (don't tell anyone). I was just filled with so much love for my wife and gratitude that we were together. I desired more than anything in the world that I would be able to say what that man said when I got to the end of my life, and I was filled with a greater commitment to treat my wife with love and respect for the rest of our lives. My addiction would have be do otherwise - the opposite in fact - and so I must do everything possible to make sure I never go down that road again.

Anyway, that was just a random thought for today. Short post, but one that is on my mind.

6 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a Mormon Messages I watched last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQIQA6s2_Hw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nate, for expressing that. That's a pretty cool way to measure success! I'll have to check that one out. I like chick flicks most of the time, too. Don't worry, I'll keep your secret, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks buddy. It's PG-13 and gets kinda racy in a couple places, which is really unfortunate cause the rest of the movie is absolutely fantastic (like every movie these days). Usually I don't go for those 'the movie's good except for the part where...' movies, but I felt this one was a worth-while exception - just had the wife edit it :) Just fyi

      Delete
  3. Thanks Nate! My husband and I love that movie, too! Both of us cried:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heads up, Nate. Whenever I hear or read of "manly men", I think of Robin Hood, Men in Tights, ha ha. Now there's a racy movie for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. I saw that movie in the theater during a time when I never, and I mean NEVER, cried in the presence of other human beings. That movie reduced me to a blubbering mess by its end. I couldn't hold it in, even though there were dozens of people around! The end really makes the movie. It was beautiful.

    It's refreshing to read about men who are so in love with their wives. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete