Sunday, October 20, 2013

Iphone settings

So as I said before, wifey and I bought some pretty new iphones, and as I'm sure you all know, while convenient they unfortunately provide a whole new spectrum of temptation and ways to act out for us. I've been apprehensive about getting one just because I didn't want to have to worry about it, as has my wife, but we got em'.

One of the first things we did was talk about what limitations we should put on it. I'm to the point where I like limits on my media, because then I don't have to sit and fight and worry about it. Here are the settings on my phone that work for me.

Here are the two main ones:
Safari: off
Add apps: off

Also, twitter and fb and whatever else is blocked - no videos or anything. Don't need em.

And the wife has the passcode, of course.

One other thing my wife told me to put on here is that she asked me if I could think of any loopholes early on while we were figuring out the set up we wanted and I thought of one and told her and we fixed it. I'd much rather that than to sit and have the loophole eat at me and try to use willpower to push it out. Less worry = happier Nate.

Would it be nice to look at a website when I need to? Sure. Would it be nice to add a great app I want without asking my wife to put in the passcode to turn off restrictions, turn on app-adding, add the app, and then put the code in to turn restrictions back on? Of course. But convenience isn't my game anymore - it's safety, and I feel safe like this. I just don't need the ability to surf the web. I can get along fine without it. Yesterday's luxury does not need to become today's necessity. If there were a few sites that I really wanted to be able to check, there is a new way to filter and only allow certain websites. If I get to that point I'll just add the 2-3 websites I really need and call it good.

I was hoping that I'd be able to have internet, and the way I was thinking was to get k9 filter and covenant eyes app on my phone (the power combo on my computer), but I couldn't find a way to combine the two, it looked like I could have 1 or the other.

So I have a few medical apps I use, a calorie counter to keep track of what I eat, maps, email (but no ability to click on links within email), and not a ton else... just the bare minimum. And that works for me. I like feeling safe.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I heard you ran into my wife at the togetherness party - glad you guys had a chance to chat!

      Delete