Monday, April 15, 2013

Victory today

Satan composed a little sneak attack on me today. While studying for a big test that I am preparing for, a really big temptation came and hit me seemingly out of nowhere. Things that I haven't thought about in a long time starting getting thrown into my mind with a lot of force and despite my early efforts to push them out, they proved rather relentless. 

I then realized that this wasn't one of those whimsical temptations that goes away if I just chose not to think about it, so I immediately put my study material away, got on my knees, and prayed. I told God what was happening and that I knew I couldn't handle it on my own. I asked what He would have me do and then listened. 

"Go for a run," was the first thought. Ok, I can do that. Then I asked what else I should do. "Your personal study," was the next thought. Then I remembered that I because I woke up really early this morning to prep for my 7 am test, I hadn't done scripture study. Ok, I can do that. Then I asked if there was anything else. "Keep your ears open," was the final thought. 

So I went for a run. Then I listened to Pres. Monson's talk to the priesthood brethren. Whether those thoughts are mine or God's is irrelevant to me. I feel it's a false dichotomy that many believe that simply leads to doubt and hesitation. Either way, soon after seeking God's will and following the promptings, the temptation is all but gone, and I feel extremely grateful. 

And I'm keeping my ears open. Keep it up, Nate. 

6 comments:

  1. Love love love this! This person you are in this post, is exactly who I hope to be the majority of my life!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Whether those thoughts are mine or God's is irrelevant to me. I feel it's a false dichotomy that many believe that simply leads to doubt and hesitation." ~I really appreciate you saying this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to act on the inspiration. Satan fights so dirty! I think he launched an attack after everything you were feeling yesterday. Lust FEEDS off the lies and negative emotions. If I can stay in tune with my feelings and also connect with others...i survive.

    Bless you and your wife. You ought to get her to post something one of these days. I'm sure she's pretty dang awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. victory!!! congrats!
    keep pressing along!

    i love how in tune you were, calling on God and THEN LISTENING! powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. Thank you for reminding me of the simplicity of listening to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete