Monday, April 8, 2013

A cool blessing

School has been nuts recently, but I wanted to write a quick post about a blessing I got today. My wife and I were out of town visiting family over the weekend, which meant I didn't get to study much at all for my 7 am test today. I did my best last week to prepare, and spent time with family. Then on Sunday I started panicking when we got back to our house because I remembered I had the test the next morning. I thought about studying on Sunday, but decided not to because it's a goal of mine. I could have really used it.

I was really worried still though, so on Sunday night I caught my mind starting to think of things in my head that we had gone through in class. Perhaps I thought that because I wasn't actually looking at the slides or the books that it didn't count. I caught myself starting to do this a few times and focused my thoughts on more Sunday-appropriate things, and had a wonderful evening.

I woke up at 4 this morning to prepare and did whatever I could to get ready. When the time came to take the test, I felt pretty calm. I took it and ended up getting a 48/50, a 96%! One of my best scores ever. That is NOT my average, particularly in med school.

Anyway, I am just really grateful to God for helping keep my mind clear and remain calm during the exam and for helping me keep my goal (and for my wife for helping me set and keep my goal... she's a big strength to me). I also couldn't help but draw parallels between my goal to keep Sunday study-free and keeping my mind lust-free. Satan's mode of attack has often been to try to get me to think of things that are impure because he hasn't been able to get me to look at things impurely. I feel like it's that way with every sin. Thoughts inevitably become actions the more we entertain them. As a man thinketh is a really inspired writing... Anyway, I know I must do all I can to not accept or justify any form of lust so I can qualify for the spirit and make every day a lust-free day. The temptations are still there, and probably always will be - but I 100% believe they will continue to decrease in frequency and amplitude as I continue to make good choices one day, one moment at a time, because so far they certainly have.

4 comments:

  1. such a wonderful blessing!!
    you have a good mind. great thoughts here.

    i love that recognizing satan, and knowing he exists gives him less power over us. our thoughts, and then our actions too.

    very nice nate!

    -d.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post:) My husband is doing the same thing with his work. He chose not to work on Sunday even though he needed to get work done. He is at peace with his work today and received answers to some concerns he had. The Lord truly blesses us when we are faithful.

    Way to go:)

    You can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth you! (Philippians 4:13)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too remember when I made a commitment to not study on Sundays and it turned out to be more like a blessing than a curse. Congrats on the grade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. champ! you owned that test. The whole no-study sunday is tough. It is such a perfect day for study. I have a no-training policy for sunday as well. But this past sunday, i rode anyway. My evening ended poorly. Thanks for this reminder to stick to the 'rules'

    ReplyDelete