Monday, January 21, 2013

Update: wish we could share more

I'm a believer that things happen for a reason and that God has a hand in our every day lives. Sometimes it's seemingly impossible to see, sometimes it's a bit more obvious.

Case in point:

On Saturday, I posted about how I wish I could share more about my progress bc of my addiction with others and that people would be excited for my progress rather than disgusted by where I've been (read about it here). I've experienced both sides of that coin, but God gave me a glimmer of hope in the form of a prompt response to that wish.

The very next day, while at church, my wife pointed out a guy that was visibly depressed. He was a young guy, early 30s, sitting by himself in the back right corner of the chapel. My wife mentioned how sad he looked and reminded me that she had mentioned him before in conversation. She's one of his kids' primary teachers, and learned that he recently moved here because he and his wife are separated, soon to be divorced. 

After church, my class got out early (a rarity when I teach) and it just so happened that I ran into him in the hall around the time church got out. I asked him a few questions about himself and he very openly told me  of his situation. Before I really knew it, I talked to him about the recovery group I attend and mentioned I knew a few guys there that were close to or currently experiencing divorce and the toll it had on them. He promptly asked what kind of recovery group. I looked around to make sure no one was close, jumbled around a bit and finally spit out, "for sexual addiction."

His response: "good for you!" Then he said he has 2 friends who go to the same groups, one of which is doing great. We then had a good conversation about how we all get dealt different hands in life, and so often they are not the hands we expected, wanted, or deserve. So often we would never expect that's what we would get dealt (or that we'd choose those cards, in some cases).

Anyway, it took me hours before I realized that just the day before I was complaining about how I don't really get to share my experiences with others and my fear that if I would, they would look at me with disgust. God reminded me yesterday that there are plenty of people who are waiting and willing to learn from our experiences and to help us learn from theirs. They're waiting to tell us "good for you." God doesn't usually give me such prompt and obvious responses to inquiries, but I'll take them when He's willing. I think he and I were an answer to each others' prayers. It was nice to talk to someone with no fear of being judged - felt a lot like group. I hope someday that will be a constant reality for me. 

This was also nice to share today because I'm feeling really depressed because of the things I've done in the past - it was nice to focus on some positive things and have things brightened up a bit. 

6 comments:

  1. This is really cool:) Very Inspiring! Thanks you for sharing. I love it when the Lord guides us to share our personal experiences of recovery with others.

    We are all pioneers in recovery. It's up to us to bear testimony of the 12 steps. If we don't do it, who will? I would never have found out about how the 12 steps could help me find my own healing and recovery had I not came across the many recovery blogs out there and the LDS wives of addicts forum.

    Just read step 12 last week and I feel like a missionary...I want to share my testimony of the 12 steps and I am hoping the Lord guides me to whoever needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright Nate! Way to go! Perfect love casts out fear. I'm going to look for more opportunities to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome! I love how the Lord answers are prayers. He definitely WILL use you - the Spirit will always be with you...

    There are times when I'm presented with an opportunity, or what I think could turn INTO an opportunity and I'll pray and say "OK Heavenly Father - if you want me to talk to this person I'm totally OK with it, but I gotta know for sure that it's the thing to do... please make it obvious."

    He has never steered me wrong...

    LOVE YOUR STORY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story. I feel like sharing our struggles is so important, and from what I observed, addiction loses power as it is brought to light. No one out there is perfect, I don't know why we are all so scared to let other see that! But it IS scary and I don't even have a sexual addiction. Way to go!

    -MM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I am reading of so many tender mercies from the Lord. He heard your "complaint" and gave you an opportunity to share. He truly is aware of each and every one of us.

    Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm addicted to your blog! What a neat story

    ReplyDelete