Monday, January 7, 2013

Good decisions and personal revelation

The title of my blog is "good decisions - one day at a time" for a reason, and I'd like to share one of my good decisions today.

While doing my personal study this morning, I had a random feeling that I needed to do something in the scriptures. I had the distinct impression that God had something to tell me this morning. I didn't know what, but I obeyed. I said a prayer, telling God what I felt and that I didn't know what he wanted me to get but that I would listen and try to understand.

The first thought that came before I even opened up the scriptures was a warning. Stay on the path I am on and do not get complacent because things are going well and I will be increasingly busy over the next few months. At the time I thought this was just me making a guess at what God would say to me. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't... I don't think it matters as much as me following it. Either way, it's good advice and I'm taking it as from God.

Then I opened the scriptures and read a few verses in D&C 75. The verses were about a few things:
1) Don't be idle
2) God forgives me
3) If I am prayerful and faithful, I will "overcome at the last day."
4) I felt God encouraging me to move on from step 10 to step 11 in my recovery.

I am grateful to God for giving me this little status check. My wife and I were just talking about answers to prayers and personal revelation and I felt I hadn't really experienced it in quite a while. This is the first time in a long time where I was led to do something by the Spirit and saw immediate results that it was a good decision and I very directly learned God's will for me.

I wonder what would have happened had I ignored the voice. I was doing a different type of personal study today relating to recovery... I hope I (and all of us) can be diligent to seek God's will for us each day and to have the courage to follow it in all things - not just when we're nearing the cliff. I pray God will trust me to listen again the next time He needs me to know something.

I look forward to learning more about and seeking personal revelation more often as I dive into step 11. I've been actively working the steps for 2.5 years and am almost through them for the time. It's been slow coming, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your step-work, Nate! May Heavenly Father continue to bless you and your family as you work them all! And thanks for sharing what you are learning along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I wish you likewise. Good luck and keep moving forward!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing! I am so impressed with your courage. You are one of my heroes! Not only going through the Step process, but putting your thoughts and feelings "out there" for all to read. It's like hearing your sharing portion without being at your meeting...but almost even better. Can feel the Spirit through your posts.

    ReplyDelete