Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Why won't God just take this away?

Earlier in the addiction, my prayers typically contained the same phrase each time. Sometimes it was filled with hope, sometimes anger and despair. The phrase was always something like, "Please take this addiction away from me." It is a prayer familiar to every addict, and perhaps every loved one affected by addiction. I want to write a post about this plea - and my two cents as to why it usually isn't answered, at least not in the way I was thinking it would.

Before continuing, I want to point out that there is some good and truth to this plea - I need to surrender this addiction to God. I also need Him to help me out of it - I can't do it on my own. But the issue in my plea was the timing. I wanted it gone immediately. I want it gone without a price. I want it gone without growth on my part. Getting out of addiction is a long and difficult journey. And, like any journey, the growth doesn't magically come upon reaching our destination, but as we struggle along the way, step by step, ever moving forward.

I am reminded of a time I hiked 7 miles uphill to the summit of a tall mountain. The view at the top was truly breath taking and life changing. I can still see it even though it's been years. There were a few times on the way up where I wanted to give up, but pressed forward anyway - and I certainly didn't enjoy the hiking part that much. But I learned important lessons along the way about patience, endurance, and commitment - and the price that I paid on the way up made achieving my goal of reaching the summit even more sweet and memorable.

Contrast that to flying up high in an airplane. All I had to do was swipe my bank card and I shortly would rise into the clouds, above the mountains, with an even better view than from the top of the mountain I worked so hard to climb. The view was pretty cool, but I soon got bored of it. I didn't gain anything from it. It really didn't mean anything to me personally - it was an interesting thing that I would soon forget.

Getting out of addiction's grasp is a journey. It is not easy. There have been many times I have wanted to quit. There have been many times when I felt I didn't have another step in me. Or that there was no point. Or that the top of the mountain isn't that great anyway. I've lost my patience and commitment and been sick of enduring. But I know that if I keep moving forward, then God will indeed help me reach that summit, and I will have become something because of it. It will become a spring board to future accomplishments instead of a bad memory swept under the rug.

My prayer now is still for God to take away my addiction, but I feel I ask it with alot more patience and understanding (or at least I try to), and a lot more "thy will be done" instead of "I want it gone NOW or I'll stop believing in you." I respect God's timing more now. I understand that God gives us trials so we can grow and learn humility, not so they can just be taken away. What would be the point? All that suffering for nothing. I hope I am becoming something. I feel I am growing - step by step.

4 comments:

  1. excellent perspective. i really agree with this. I can say that this addiction has robbed me of so much in life...that it took opportunity and happiness away...and whether there is so merit in that...God is teaching me his gospel. it is hard learning. But i am now much more willing/submissive. I am more patient (day at a time is frustratingly slow), i have to live more in the moment of each day, I have immense compassion on people who struggle with ANY form of addiction. I now connect with my emotions and i TALK to others about them. I have to pray more, be closer to God.

    Man, i should put this into a blog post! ithink I will.. thanks Nate Q!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice work. This is what these blogs are all about. Recording what we learn and learning from each other. Thanks for the support and keep up the good work!

      Delete
  2. Eventually - after some good recovery - you may find that you'll come to appreciate your addiction and find gratitude in it. This is where I am now. If I could go back - I wouldn't give my addiction away, I wouldn't do anything differently. It is my addiction that makes me turn to my Savior each day. It is my addiction that reminds me how small and powerless I really am and how reliant on the Atonement I am. It is my addiction that keeps me humble. I'm no longer scared of who I am as an addict, I'm more scared of who I'd be if I weren't an addict... because I fear I'd have nothing to keep me close to the Savior.

    Love this post...

    Oh one more thing... this came up at group last night. I think in the beginning even though our prayers are whiny and full of self pity that the Lord still cherishes those prayers. He has gone SO long without hearing from us at all that even our desperate please to remove the addiction from us are music to His ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thoughts. You're statement about being scared of who you'd be if you weren't an addict is really profound. I've had the exact same thoughts - for this is really the only thing in my life that has humbled me to the point of me feeling like I needed the Savior. Without it, I perhaps would have never found Him.

      Delete