Monday, December 31, 2012

Men. Can. Change.

I went to see the new movie, Les Miserables - it is one of my favorite plays/musicals of all time (a shame they had to put some raunchy stuff in it, otherwise I'd buy it and watch it often). Anyway, I was moved to tears multiple times while watching and considering the story of Jean ValJean. I'd like to share two parts in particular

Part 1: Hard circumstances drove ValJean to committing a single crime, stealing a loaf of bread. He was caught and served 19 years in prison. Upon leaving he finds refuge with a priest in a church for the night. He steals from the priest and is caught once again. Upon returning, the priest does not condemn him, but gives him more - telling him he has bought his soul for God and to use the silver to become an honest man. Afterwards, ValJean has these thoughts:


"What have I done?
Sweet Jesus, what have I done?
Become a thief in the night
Become a dog on the run
And have I fallen so far
And is the hour so late
That nothing remains but the cry of my hate,
The cries in the dark that nobody hears,
Here where I stand at the turning of the years?
If there's another way to go
I missed it twenty long years ago
My life was a war that could never be won
They gave me a number and murdered Valjean
When they chained me and left me for dead
Just for stealing a mouthful of bread"

This part describes my earlier feelings of being an addict. I feel that it wasn't fair what happened to me or that I would be susceptible to something like this, and that perhaps I would never be able to change and that was just who I was and who I was always going to be. But he follows those lines with these:

"Yet why did I allow that man
To touch my soul and teach me love?
He treated me like any other
He gave me his trust
He called me brother
My life he claims for God above
Can such things be?
For I had come to hate this world
This world which had always hated me
Take an eye for an eye!
Turn your heart into stone!
This is all I have lived for!
This is all I have known!
One word from him and I'd be back
Beneath the lash, upon the rack
Instead he offers me my freedom,
I feel my shame inside me like a knife
He told me that I have a soul,
How does he know?
What spirit came to move my life?
Is there another way to go?
I am reaching, but I fall
And the night is closing in
And I stare into the void
To the whirlpool of my sin
I'll escape now from the world
From the world of Jean Valjean
Jean Valjean is nothing now
Another story must begin!"


ValJean then begins his new story. He changes his life and becomes a new person with his newfound faith and commitment to God. He becomes the mayor of the city and eventually devotes his entire life to a child that is not even his.

Part 2:
Throughout ValJean's journey to change, the voice of justice and sorrow comes to him constantly in the form of Javert, the chief inspector. This is the dialogue when ValJean has the chance to take Javert's life and be free from the one man still hunting him:


Javert: Once a thief, forever a thief. What you want you always steal. You would trade your life for mine? Yes, Valjean, you want a deal. Shoot me now for all I care. If you let me go beware, you'll still answer to Javert!

Valjean: You are wrong, and always have been wrong. I'm a man, no worse than any man. You are free! And there are no conditions, no bargains or petitions; there's nothing that I blame you for. You've done your duty, nothing more. If I come out of this alive, you'll find me at number fifty-five Rue Plumet. No doubt our paths will cross again. Go.


Change is something I've (and I'm sure you have) been seeking for years now. I recall each Sunday writing in my journal about change - how much I desired it, and yet how elusive it seemed to me. I tried to years on my own to change and only seemed to fall further and further into addiction. Often during those times, a voice would come to me. A voice familiar to each of us, saying, "You cannot and will not change. Give up."

That voice is wrong, always has been wrong, and always will be wrong. Men can change. I have changed. I'm done being bitter and thinking I can't change. I have begun my new story based on my newfound faith and commitment to God. I'm doing better than ever - over 10 months without even starting to seek something out. That is a miracle. I know if I continue on this new road, I will stay in recovery and be led to Him. Each us of us can. 

And finally, a quote from Pres Monson in the most recent conference:

"We need to bear in mind that people can change. They can put behind them bad habits. They can repent from transgressions. They can bear the priesthood worthily. And they can serve the Lord diligently."

4 comments:

  1. Oh man - I absolutely love this. I love love love this! I love finding recovery in everyday things, especially movies and music. This made my day. I have a similar post coming eventually.

    I haven't seen the movie yet... but now I'm looking forward to it even more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. I love hearing things from the "addict" perspective. Thank you for posting and letting me read. My husband and I went on a wonderful date a few weeks ago to see Les Mis in the West End, London. I cried the whole time, my husband cried too. It is my favorite musical and novel of all time. Such a beautiful story of redemption and change. It's so interesting how Javert actually thinks he is on God's errand. It's interesting how all of us need to learn and humble ourselves and allow God to change us. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff, Nate! I'm really glad you are here! You sound like I feel, except that you are 8 months farther along than I am. I can hardly wait to see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Nate. I loved this one as well!! I was speaking in song for the rest of the day. And lame it did have some bad scenes. I closed my eyes during the 'lovely ladies' (not so lovely for me)

    And the Jean Valjean redemption REALLY hit me too. I know exactly how he feels. I hate the past. How we can't seem to let it go. If anyone earned their souls back...Valjean qualifies. Well, i probably do too even though i still don't feel so.

    Good job on the 10 months!! Dang, what excellent progress!

    ReplyDelete