Sunday, February 23, 2014

The two-faced spirit

My wife and I were talking about a lesson I was giving today in church that she had actually taught a few weeks earlier in a different class. It was about making choices, which by the title of my blog you know I have some strong feelings about. One thing my wife pointed out I feel has particular relevance in our little community of battlers, and I wanted to bring it up.

The point regards pre-sin satan and post-sin satan.

Pre-sin satan says things like this:
"Only once will not matter."
"This battle's over - you can do it this time and then not do it again."
"This will help you feel happy - it's worth it."
"You will always struggle with this."
"It's not really affecting you anyway."
"The only way past this is to give in."
"There's no way out."
"You'll be ok - you're strong enough to handle this."
"You can keep it a secret and no one will know, you'll be fine."
"It doesn't matter anymore, you've nothing to fight for."
etc.

Post-sin satan says things like this:
"You are scum. A wretched person."
"Look what how did. You are so weak."
"How could you have given in?"
"You are broken."
"Keep it a secret - anyone that knows will judge you and distance from you."
"No one needs to know this time, you can hide it."
"How could anyone love you if they knew this side of you?"
etc.

Pre-sin satan and post-sin satan may seem like polar opposites, but I assure you they are from the same spirit. Pre-sin satan builds one up with false pride, making one feel immune - above it - downplaying the situation and its consequences. Post-sin satan fills one with ungodly shame, making one feel as if they are not worth anyone's time, love, or efforts.

And the thing is, neither one is right. Each one is a lie. The unhealthy, skewed pride and the dehumanizing guilt and shame - all a ruse to make us feel how he would have us feel.

Now, let's take a look at the other side.

Pre-sin God
"There is a way out."
"This will not bring you happiness."
"Reach out for help."
"I love you and want to help you."
"Turn unto me."
"Here's what you can do..."
"I will give you peace."

Post-sin God
...Exactly the same.

It is of utmost importance in the pre-sin moments or in the unfortunate post-sin moments that I recognize the swirling enticings around me. Some may be louder than others depending on what I've been tuning into that day. Whatever the case, I have to take a time out in the dangerous situation and tune into the true and constant voice, which by design is a little harder to hear I think.

Tuning in to this voice will encourages me to seek help the early moments before sin. It encourages me to seek help and to not consider myself above it all. It helps me get out of the moment and see the big picture. It helps me avoid or escape the damning feelings of depression and hopelessness.

I hope each of us can pay closer attention to the voices vying for our attention, particularly in the critical moments, and follow the right voice and call the other one a big stinkin' liarface.

No comments:

Post a Comment