Tuesday, November 19, 2013

2014: A mile a day

I was reading a talk this morning that talked about self-mastery as being one of the most important lessons we can learn in this life, and it made me think about the habits and goals I've been setting recently. Recovery is a multi-faceted thing, and part of healing is just learning better habits and enabling God's strength to do it.

The best way to start is a goal that is easy-peasy that you know you can do. Mine this year has been flossing. A little goal, I know. It literally takes 1 minute a day. But back in January I couldn't believe how hard it was to motivate myself to floss for that one minute. I know everyone says, "do something for 2 or 3 weeks and it becomes habit" which I was always skeptical about. But seriously, after I grit down and flossed every single day for 3 weeks, it just made it's way into my routine. Since then, I've missed 3 days and that's it!

Once again, this may sound like a little thing, but now that I think about it, it is the first time I've set a goal and stuck with it for a decent amount of time. My next goal, and I'm seriously going to do this one, is for 2014 I'm going to run a mile every day, excluding Sundays. A mile at it's slowest takes 15 minutes, and I know I have 15 minutes a day to take care of my body. I've seen to many obese, diabetic, hypertensive patients with heart failure this year to let my body go on the wayside. Sure, it'd be great to do a fabulous workout or train for a marathon, but I need to start small with something I know I can do.

When I set and accomplish goals it gives me faith in recovery. I builds my faith in myself and builds my integrity. If I am solid in some little things, I can be solid in others. I can keep the rules of not surfing on the internet alone. I can tell my wife if I think of a loophole around our current electronic arrangement. I can turn to God when things get hard. We all can.

Anyway, I'd like to invite everyone that wants to to join me in mentally preparing to run a mile a day in 2014. And then on that cold morning on New Years day we throw on the jacket and get out for 15 minutes and do something to develop self-mastery and self-esteem, and health! I've already worked through the excuses I might have: I don't have time? Yes I do. I'm sick? Get out and walk for 15 minutes anyway, I'll be fine. My knee hurts? Walk, ride a bike. I broke my ankle? Get some crutches :).

It's something we all can do, I know we can, it will just take some will power. It'll be crazy hard for the first month, but so so worth it in the end. Who's in? I am. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment