Sunday, March 30, 2014

Big changes a'comin'

So it's been a little while - you can tell how busy my rotations are based on how often I write in this blog.. but honestly my last rotation wasn't that busy, I just have been busy with other things. I'm at that point in a med student's life where I'm at the 20-pronged fork in the road after the first 20-pronged fork in the road. So I've decided on a track in medicine and have a back up cause my first one is a bit of a stretch.

So there are some HUGE changes coming: moving earlier than we thought, a future move to a completely new place somewhere in the US, my wife leaving her profession for a temporary job, being apart for 4-5 months while I'm on rotations, and that's just off the top of my head.

With big changes come opportunities: in many ways it is a new fresh start. My wife and I have had some hard times down here because of me, and some great ones. It has been our humble and difficult beginning. In our months in Utah and years wherever I match into residency, we will have the opportunity to start new good habits, continue current good ones, make new memories - there is also the potential for old habits to sneak in. I have a good 'safe zone' worked out down here - a good system - and a change of scenery brings with it new ways to get caught off guard and the necessity of being able to adapt more than usual.

I think the keys to surviving changes are 1) continuing good habits that have worked before and 2) evaluating early and often how the efforts are going, being aware of potential threats and weak points in the armor. I am pretty aware of my weaknesses and destructive beliefs/habits, so I will be on guard.

We're sad to leave this place behind... I think when I look back to Phoenix later in my life, it will be with reverence.

Other updates:

1) I had an interesting situation last week where justifying acting out would have been... well... almost justifiable. I won't do the details, but I was proud of myself for not even getting close to those old habits. Those victories go a long way and give me faith because not long ago I don't think I would have been so strong.

2) Mile-a-day 2014 - still going strong. I kind of missed one day, but am sure I walked a mile that day to and from places we were so I'm going to count it. up to 116 miles ran this year. Also haven't missed flossing a day yet, which was my 2013 goal. Setting and keeping these goals has been a great strength to me and my integrity. I think it's important for everyone to have 1-2 things that are non-negotiables that they do no matter what. We've all got numerous things that theoretically we should do daily, but miss here and there and life goes on. But I think picking 1-2 of those and doing them no matter what over the long term brings great strength to a person. Making other decisions seems a tad easier.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree! When I make my weekly goals, I have those few things that HAVE to get done, and when I accomplish them, I feel a deeper sense of accomplishment in myself. It helps to boost my self-esteem and teaches me that I CAN do what I say I'll do. It's very empowering. Way to keep up with the awesome goals!!! Good luck to you guys with the future changes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your take on the benefits and difficulties of moving. My wife and I have moved 17 times in the last 8 years...and I continue to be surprised by the stresses and opportunities involved. Working in advance can help cut back on stress, but just acknowledge it's going to be difficult and stressful and plan the best you can. It sounds like you're approaching it conscientiously rather than just being caught up in the pressures, which is key. I'm facing my own fork (though not 20-prong) in the near future, so thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the idea on goals. I needed that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments everyone - it's always reassuring to hear when people are facing similar situations as me and doing similar things as me... you guys are fabulous. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete